Saturday, June 7, 2008

Goodbye Uncle Bob

I received some sad news from home today. My Uncle Bob (Boice) died.
He had not been well for a long time, and honestly, it's a comfort knowing that he is no longer in pain. But who I am really sad for is his daughter, my cousing Madeline. She already lost her mother, and in January, her brother, Jonathan also died.
So I started to think about Uncle Bob and prefer to remember him like when we were kids, when he was in better health.
I remember the time that all of us kids and Bob made birdhouses in his workshop in the basement.
I remember how proud he was of the motorcycle that he bought the FIRST time gas prices went sky high (in the 1970s)
I remember the graduations, Madeline'a prom, lots of family events where Uncle Bob and Aunt Yvonne were simply an expected part of every family event.
I know things change as you get older, and loved ones die, but it is never easy... I will miss Uncle Bob.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Michelle,
I am sorry to hear about your Uncle Bob. I'm glad to hear that you chose to celebrate his life by remembering him in better times. We need to celebrate the lives of our loved ones more often, even while they are still with us!
Your blog and the others have been very helpful to me. I am coming with the 3rd team, with Silvia and am really looking forward to the trip. I've never been to Africa before, so your words and pictures are very special to me.
God bless you and your family.
Serving him together,
Dianne