Friday, June 27, 2008

Torro High School and Linda's Sweet 16th Bday

On Monday morning, we went to Torro High School in Fort Portal. This was the second time I'd been there, and some of the students, girls mostly, were so excited to see me again. I'd spent quite a bit of time talking with them at the football game the first visit.

They greeted the group with some songs, speeches, and poetry they'd created.








Taylor, Renata and Debbie pass out supplies. This school is a boarding school and the girls of the school must live there for safety reasons. The subject matter they know is amazing, especially with the limited resources. They really need even the basics. We read a report on the 82 students supplies for school A few of the statistics of the first of the year:
Students that have a plate and cup 35/82
Students that have a mattress and bedsheets 16/82
Students with shoes 24/82
Boys with a pair of underwear 4/22
Girls with pair of underwear 33/60
Students with soap 5/82
Students with at least a dozen exercise books and 2 pens 15/82



We did a puppet show... And as it turned out, they could totally see us! Funny!!


They liked us singing to THEM.. JJ rocked the house... so much she got dizzy and almost passed out

During the lunch break, I went to the girls with them back to the dormitory... 54 girls sleep in bunk beds under the supervision of a matron (Rose) who is kind to them, but keeps things in line. It was Linda's Sweet 16 birthday and her roommates decorated her bunk with good wishes posted. I asked if I could add mine.. So, I wrote my favorite quote :"Be the change you want to see in the world."- Ghandi. I added a personal message. But I wanted to do something really special for her. She was really far from home and her family. So that night after dinner, I came back with my best imitation of a birthday cake.. Fruit and cookies made up to resemble a cake, complete with candle.


This is Linda's "birthday cake" that I concocted with fruit and cookies that I bought at the only gas station in town. Decorated with lollipops and a candle.



Linda was scared to be called to the headmaster's office during evening study hours. She really thought she was in trouble!!! But she was so happy to find out I was there to surprise her (along with JJ, Taylor and Jaimie) with the cake.



She invited some friends to share, made a wish and blew out the candles.

No comments: